If you’re considering starting or expanding a business with tourism appeal that has agriculture, livestock, nature or farm components, you’ll want to sign up for this series of three affordable workshops coming January, February and March based right here in Angels Camp!
This is a collaborative effort offered by the UC Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program (UC SAREP), in partnership with UC Cooperative Extension (UCCE), Calaveras County Economic Development, CalaverasGROWN, Calaveras County Chamber of Commerce, Calaveras Winegrape Alliance and the Calaveras Visitors Bureau. This is an exciting opportunity to develop and expand experiential tourism here in the Central Sierra – something that’s been growing in popularity over the last decade.
Agritourism & Nature Workshop Topics
The workshops offer the opportunity to learn from the successes of established agritourism businesses (including participating in a field trip to a local business), and also include interactive sessions on these topics:
- Assessing Your Ranch/Farm/Community for Agritourism Potential
- Permitting & Regulatory Processes
- Business Planning
- Risk Management & Hospitality
- Legal Liability
- Potential Financing Options
- Emergency Preparedness
- Budgeting & Cash Flow
- Creating a Marketing Plan
- Successful Online Marketing
Penny Leff, UC SAREP Agritourism Coordinator has this to say about the program:
“Agricultural operations in the Central Sierra foothill region offer a diversity of beautiful natural resources and unique experiences with local farmers and ranchers. It can be hard for small-scale farmers and ranchers to make a living in the face of increasing competition and tightening land, labor and water access. Our workshops will give agricultural producers the contacts and tools to understand regulatory requirements and to develop and market their individual agritourism enterprises, adding to their income and helping spread the risk of tough production years.”
Adding to the value of the workshops, each participant receives a copy of the UC ANR published handbook: Agritourism and Nature Tourism in California, and lunch is provided for each session. Don’t miss this fantastic opportunity to learn more about how you can tap into this fun market! Classes fill up quickly and space is limited, so register soon!
Agritourism & Nature Workshop Details
- DATES: Wednesday, January 30, 2019 | Wednesday, February 27, 2019 | Wednesday, March 27, 2019
- TIMES: 8:30 am – 3:00 pm (lunch provided) for each date
- LOCATION: Calaveras County Fairgrounds, 2465 Gun Club Road, Angels Camp, CA 95222
- COST: $60 per person for 3 workshops (lunch included)
- AGENDA: online
- REGISTRATION: online
- QUESTIONS: Contact Penny Leff, UC SAREP: [email protected] | 530-752-5208
For more information on the program check out the Calaveras Enterprise’s article: Farm to Fun.