The Calaveras County Fair & Jumping Frog Jubilee kicks off this Thursday, May 17 and runs thru the weekend. If this will be your first time, or even if you go every year, you’re not going to want to miss these top five activities that make the fair so darn fun.
1) Tour the “Frog Spa.” Yup, that’s right, our frogs live it up in the luxurious Frog Spa underneath the Main Stage at the Fairgrounds where the International Frog Jump Competition is held annually. Tours start daily at 10:30 a.m.
2) Eat as much pie as you can. The Apple Pie Eating Contest is held on Thursday, May 17 at 5 p.m. in Tom Sawyer Hall. Get there by 3 p.m. to register. Save room for the funnel cake!
3) Forget the beer tent, belly up to the wine tent. This is Calaveras Wine Country, and the fair wouldn’t be complete without tasting some of the best wines in the area. Judging is held before the fair begins and visitors can enjoy some of the winning wines by stopping by the wine tent.
4) Destruction Derby! When’s the last time you got to watch one of America’s lost spectacles…cars smashing into each other? Need we say anymore? Grab your spot in the grassy hillside early Sunday evening. This one’s popular. Derby begins at 5:30 p.m.
5) Become a famous frog jockey. This isn’t just-for-locals fun. You can come and jump your very own frog and take on Rosie the Ribeter’s world record jump, which was set back in 1986. In fact, you don’t even have to bring your own frog. For $7, you can choose one of the 400 jumpy little guys waiting for some action down in the Frog Spa. Find the From Jump entry booth before 3:30 p.m. every day to enter into that day’s heat. Frog Jump Finals happen Sunday at 3 p.m.
We just skimmed the surface of everything you can do at the Calaveras County Fair & Jumping Frog Jubilee. Ticket information, Frog Jump rules, the full fair schedule, directions and more can be found at www.frogtown.org.