Great Memory-Making Trips Happen in Kid-Friendly Calaveras
It’s not hard to make great family memories on a Calaveras getaway. Whether you’re looking for cultural or outdoor experiences, there’s plenty here to keep the kids happy, engaged and talking about their trip for years to come.
Use our kid-friendly icon on any of our listings to see the best places to bring children, including family-friendly lodging, kid-favorite restaurants and fun activities. Be sure to check out our annual events calendar to get an overview of the fun events that happen each year, and to see what’s happening in Calaveras County right now, see our current events calendar which is updated daily. Scroll down for our top kid-friendly activities below.
Unique, Kid-Friendly Calaveras County & Bear Valley Activities:
- Go WILD CAVE EXPLORING at California Cavern on the Mammoth Cave Expedition beginning at age 8
- ZIP IN TANDEM with your parents on 1500-foot twin ziplines at Moaning Cavern Adventure Park
- STAND ON the stump of a GIANT SEQUOIA TREE and walk through a giant sequoia tree trunk at Calaveras Big Trees State Park
- JUMP A FROG at the official Jumping Frog Jubilee at the Calaveras County Fairgrounds, inspired by Mark Twain’s story “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras“
- Be a passenger RIDER on SNOWMOBILES on an unlimited wilderness trip through Bear Valley Snowmobile
- RIDE A CARRIAGE through snowy giant sequoia groves at Calaveras Big Trees State Park’s Winter Wonderland event
- Drop pumpkins on targets from ziplines in Moaning Cavern Adventure Park’s annual PUMPKIN SMASH
- SWIM through beautiful NATURAL BRIDGES in Vallecito
- Learn to CROSS-COUNTRY SKI on kid-specific trails on the largest trail system in California
- Get up-close to the largest collection of 19th century CARRIAGES & WAGONS in California at Angels Camp Museum
- Watch a WEINER-DOG RACE (with real dachsunds) at the Calaveras Oktoberfest in Valley Springs
- See a GIANT PENCIL and other amazing exhibits at the Sierra Nevada Logging Museum
- Win a real Mother Lode GOLD NUGGET at the Mark Twain Wild West Fest
- See the LARGEST crystalline GOLD SPECIMEN pulled out of the Mother Lode (a massive 44lbs) in the Hertiage Museum at Ironstone Vineyards
- Experience a drive through the RUBBER CHICKEN NATIONAL FOREST at Twisted Oak Winery
- See a RAPPELLING SANTA at Moaning Cavern during their annual Christmas Carolling Concert in the Cave
- Come on out to BARREL OF MONKEEZ for indoor fun including bounce houses, mini-golf, laser tag, multi-gaming floor, monkey ball, sumo suits and much more!
- See real ANCIENT CAVE BEAR SKELETONS at California Cavern and Stories in Stones.
One of our local high school students, Lizzy Oliveto, put together a great video showing some of the highlights of the county for her Senior Project in 2016. We think she captured some scenery and a taste of what you can see and do here. See what you think:
Taking pictures with the fam on your Calaveras vacation? Tag your Facebook and Instagram posts with #lovingcalaveras for a chance to be featured on our social media platforms.