Here at the Calaveras Visitors Bureau, we love hearing the different ways that locals and visitors alike choose to commemorate this important day through family traditions or in starting new traditions. If you and your family have a Memorial Day tradition that is important to you, we would love to hear about it in the comments below.
For many of our team members, Memorial Day Weekend is a time to gather with loved ones in order to pause, reflect, and savor the beauty of the magnificent place we call home. If you’re looking for some new traditions of your own, read on for 5 ways to commemorate Memorial Day Weekend in Calaveras this year.
Featured image of Murphys, CA (above) courtesy of Instagrammer @mac33
1. Memorial Day Ideas – Get Outside
One of our favorite ways to commemorate Memorial Day Weekend is by getting out into the bounty of open water or land with loved ones in tow. If you and your family like getting out into nature for Memorial Day Weekend, you’re in luck. One of the reasons we love to live and play in Calaveras County is the hundreds of options for outdoor play. From picnics and barbecues, to water sports and wildflowers, to family friendly hiking and biking, to scenic drives, camping and glamping, Calaveras has got it going on. Oh, did we mention we also have cave tours at Mercer Caverns, California Cavern and Moaning Cavern and twin ziplines as well? We’re talking serious outdoor bounty.
Follow the links above (and below) for details on the commemorative outing of your choice.
What to Know Before You Go:
- Guided Hikes Available: Get details on the Memorial Day Weekend Arnold Rim Trail guided sunset hike to Cougar Rock here and the Calaveras Big Trees guided North Grove hike here.
- Ebbetts Pass is OPEN: is officially open for the season. Explore Ebbetts Pass scenic drives, hikes, and camping in the Stanislaus National Forest here.
- Calaveras Big Trees South Grove Open: Calaveras Big Trees State Park‘s South Grove is open for the season and the wildflowers and dogwoods are blooming like crazy throughout the Park.
- Dogwoods are Blooming: If you haven’t visited Calaveras Big Trees State Park while the Dogwoods are blooming, you are missing out. Don’t take our word for it, ask the visitors who plan their year around making sure to catch these gorgeous trees in bloom. It’s happening now!
- Arnold Rim Trail Wildflowers Blooming: Wildflowers (including tiger lilies, lupines, and more) are going off all over the trail right now. Learn more about the dog-friendly Arnold Rim Trail here.
- Spicer Reservoir Open: Learn more about Spicer Reservoir here. (Check Utica and Union Reservoir Status Before You Go – Check for current Utica/Union Reservoir status here.)
- Water Sports Abound: Did you know Calaveras is home to one of the largest reservoirs in California (New Melones) and more than half a dozen lakes ringed by hundreds of miles of family and dog-friendly trails? Whether camping, boating, fishing, hiking, or swimming the water feels just fine. Explore Calaveras water play destinations for Memorial Day Weekend here.
2. Memorial Day Ideas – Shop Around for Street Fairs, Garage Sales, Estate Sales, and Memorial Weekend Discounts
Many of our local Veterans put on and participate in special events offering everything from Veteran-made artisan wares to vintage offerings, there are also excellent fundraising booths at many events for causes that help the Veteran community. Explore the links below to discover the outdoor markets, peddlers fairs, and estate sales happening throughout Memorial Day Weekend:
Angels Camp Farmers Market I Arnold Spring Peddlers Fair I Murphys Peddlers Faire I San Andreas Master Garden’s Open Garden and Plant Sale I Calaveras Estate Sales I Find additional shopping events throughout Calaveras on our calendar of events here.
Prefer to explore your indoor weekend options? Add to your Memorial Day Weekend shopping experience by strolling from Veteran family owned shop to shop through charming historic downtowns. Want to scout out what’s available before you go? Explore local shops by town below to see what’s available, visit their social media channels or call ahead to see who’s offering discounts this Memorial Day Weekend:
Angels Camp shopping I Arnold shopping I Copperopolis shopping I Mokelumne Hill shopping I Murphys shopping I San Andreas area shopping I Vallecito area tasting room shopping I Valley Springs area shopping
3. Memorial Day Ideas – Music and Food Events
Ready to dance it out? What goes better with Memorial Day Weekend than food and live music in a beautiful outdoor setting? Bring the little ones in your life to dance up a storm at one of our great local venues. Find the local music and Memorial Day Weekend foodie scene by clicking the links below:
Risky Biscuits at Brice Station Vineyards I Backyard Blues and Barbecue at Hotel Leger I Live Music at the Cameo Plaza in Arnold, CA I Memorial Day Concert at the Park in Murphys, CA I Angels Camp Farmers Market live music at Utica Park I Memorial Day Weekend at Bear Valley I Find additional live music throughout Calaveras on our calendar of events here.
Looking for an epic two day party?Make sure to checkout Memorial Day Weekend at Bear Valley From movies, to food, to live music, and pool party games, Bear Valley is celebrating their 50th anniversary by doing up Memorial Weekend right with this two day long event.
4. Memorial Day Ideas – Wine Tasting Galore
Ready to start your own Memorial Day Weekend tradition? How about wine tasting with friends from dozens of National award winning wineries and numerous Veteran family owned tasting rooms in a gorgeous Old West setting? With more than 20 tasting rooms in downtown Murphys, find walkable lodging in Murphys in order to turn your weekend into a wine crawl. Explore Calaveras wineries and local Calaveras evening entertainment for the weekend on calendar of Calaveras events here. (To use the calendar, click the day you are interested in, scroll down and select any event you are interested in to expand it for additional information.)
5. Memorial Day Ideas – Historic and Cultural Events
Feeling the historic vibes? Memorial Day is a great time to reflect on the men and women who have come before us to create the rich and diverse country we know and love today. Explore the rich Veteran-filled history of our region by adding a little history or culture to your Memorial Day Weekend with one of our great museums, or historic and cultural events below:
Angels Camp Museum and Carriage House I Arnold’s Sierra Nevada Logging Museum I Murphys’ Old Timers Museum I Murphys’ Ironstone Heritage Museum I San Andreas’ Calaveras County Museum Complex I San Andreas’ Red Barn Museum
Cultural and/or Historic Events:
Angels Camp’s Song Posse I Angels Camp’s Story Swap I Angels Camp’s J – K Ranch Rendezvous I Murphys Historic Walk Tour I Find more cultural and/or historic events on our online calendar of events here.
Can’t decide? Give us a call 7 days a week at 1-209-736-0049, we’ll help you plan your trip for free.
Find places to stay or compare lodging options using our booking engine below.
Happy travels, and our deepest gratitude to all of the soldiers who have made the country we love today. May their sacrifice always be remembered.