6-Day self-driving tour
Discover the vast year-round adventures of California’s Sierra Foothills on a fun golf and adventure 6-day, self-driving tour. Calaveras County, in the heart of California’s historic Gold Country, is dotted with charming, historic towns like Angels Camp, Murphys and Mokelumne Hill. With five championship golf courses at varying elevations and multiple mountain sports recreation opportunities, Calaveras County offers the ultimate in golf and adventure.
DAY 1: Arrival, Check-in & Dinner
- ARRIVE at San Francisco International Airport. Pick up SUV rental
- DRIVE 2-1/2 hours to Saddle Creek Resort in Copperopolis
- CHECK IN at Saddle Creek Resort Lodge Bungalows
- Optional dining and wine tasting at Copper Grille at Resort OR
- DRIVE 10 minutes to Griff’s BBQ & Grill in Copperopolis Town Square
DAY 2: Golf, Shopping, Wine & Food
- BREAKFAST at Copper Grille
- PLAY a morning round of golf at Saddle Creek Resort on their 18 hole championship course. Saddle Creek Resort is truly a golf resort for players and couples of all levels. The golf resort features 18 scenic holes and is ranked 8th by Golf Week Magazine for Best Public Access Courses in California. Only Pebble Beach is rated higher in California with five stars.
- VISIT Copperopolis Town Square for sightseeing & shopping
- CHECK OUT of resort
- DRIVE 30 minutes to historic downtown Murphys
- EXPLORE wine and food in historic Murphys- which features 23 wine tasting rooms all within strolling distance
- CHECK IN at the Cottages in Greenhorn Creek
- Optional dining at CAMPS Restaurant, Greenhorn Creek Resort
DAY 3 – Explore, Golf & Big Trees Sate Park
- BREAKFAST at CAMPS Restaurant, Greenhorn Creek Resort
- PLAY a morning round of golf at Greenhorn Creek’s 18 hole championship course, designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr and designated one of California’s top 10 golf courses by California Magazine in 2015. This 6,740-yard, par 72 layout wanders through clusters of 200 year-old oak trees and over a once busy tract of underground gold mines. Changing elevations along with natural and man-made hazards, such as a stone farmer’s wall, ancient Chinese oven and a variety of water hazards will challenge every golfer’s skill level.
Lunch and CHECK OUT of resort
- DRIVE 5 minutes to the Angels Camp Museum and see their large display of antique carriages and Mark Twain exhibit
- DRIVE 2 minutes to historic downtown Angels Camp for shopping & sightseeing
- DRIVE 30 minutes to Arnold
- CHECK IN at Arnold Black Bear Inn
- EXPLORE Calaveras Big Trees State Park, Arnold
- Play a twilight round of golf at Sequoia Woods Country Club, a challenging 18-hole course in a beautiful mountain setting. Guests at the Black Bear Inn receive golf privileges at this Private Country Club golf course. Nestled in the western Sierra Nevada at a 4,000-foot elevation, this course makes dramatic use of the local terrain, combining the natural meadows and slopes of the first nine holes with the narrowed, pine tree-lined fairways of the second nine. The resulting course brings golfers challenging play and fabulous views.
- PICK UP picnic with wine from Black Bear Inn
- DRIVE 15 minutes to Brice Station Vineyards for Theatre Under the Stars with picnic
- Return to Black Bear Inn.
DAY 4: Museum, Golf & Vineyard Tour
- BREAKFAST at Arnold Black Bear Inn
- EXPLORE Sierra Nevada Logging Museum, Arnold or hike part of the Arnold Rim Trail at the Logging Museum trailhead
- PICK UP picnic lunch from Arnold Black Bear Inn
- CHECK OUT of Arnold Black Bear Inn
- DRIVE 15 minutes to Forest Meadows, Murphys
- PLAY 9 holes of golf at Forest Meadows Golf Resort. This 9 Golf Course offers some of the best golf in Murphys. This Robert Trent Jones, Jr. golf course offers golfers of all abilities a day they will not soon forget, with fairways set deep in the quiet of giant pines, great oaks, and towering cedars, as well as some that play across High Meadowland.
- DRIVE 15 minutes to Ironstone Vineyards, Murphys
- TOUR Ironstone Vineyards museum with its 40lb crystalline gold nugget (the largest ever found) gift shop, manicured grounds & wine cave
- CHECK IN to the Victoria Inn, Murphys
- DINE at V Restaurant
DAY 5: Museum, Cave Tours, Rappel, Zip Lines & Live Music
- BREAKFAST at Grounds in Murphys
- EXPLORE Murphys Old Timer’s Museum
- DRIVE 15 minutes to Moaning Cavern Adventure Park
- ZIP ¼ mile on the Zip Lines at Moaning Cavern Adventure Park, Vallecito
- RAPPEL by rope, 165-feet into the cave at Moaning Cavern
- DRIVE 15 minutes back to Murphys
- LUNCH on the pretty patio at Murphys Historic Hotel restaurant
- TOUR Mercer Caverns, Murphys
- DINE at Alchemy Restaurant in Murphys
- ENJOY live music at Twisted Oak Winery OR other live music locally
DAY 6: Golf, Lunch & Return
- CHECK OUT of the Victoria Inn
- PLAY a round of golf at La Contenta Golf Club in Valley Springs. This beautiful course is shaded by large oak trees and depending on the time of year, you may see wild turkey and deer. Designed by Richard Bigler, the La Contenta course features a blend of meadow/valley fairways and rolling terrain highlighted by the dramatic drop of the signature 13th hole.
- LUNCH at Vista Grille at resort OR
- DRIVE 10 minutes to Thai House Restaurant
- DRIVE 2-1/2 hours to San Francisco