Delicious food, gorgeous hiking and mountain biking trails, great golf courses (of all sorts) and other small-town surprises make Valley Springs worth the stop.
Valley Springs, CA? Where is that? If you’ve driven into Calaveras County via Highway 12/26, you’ve likely zipped right through the town of Valley Springs. But next time, you might want to think about pulling over for a bite to eat, stretching your legs, and even staying the night. Here are seven reasons why Valley Springs is worth the stop…
- An abundance of trails. Especially nice in the winter and spring when the temps are mild and you want to get outside minus your snow gear, there is no shortage of hiking and mountain biking opportunities near Valley Springs. Try the Mokelumne Coast to Crest Trail, the China Gulch Trail at Lake Camanche or “The River of Skulls” nature trail at New Hogan Reservoir located below the dam at the Monte Vista Recreation Area. Check out the intermediate Coyote Point Trail at New Hogan Reservoir at mtbproject.com.
2. World-class golfing. Honored by Golf Digest and around for more than 35 years, La Contenta Golf Club is considered one of Northern California’s best courses. A Richard Bigler course set in the rolling foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, La Contenta Golf Club challenges you with “out-of-bounds stakes lining fourteen holes and water hazards coming into play on nine holes. Be ready to hit plenty of blind shots as well as approach shots from off side hill lies. The layout affords outstanding vistas of the surrounding area on virtually every hole”.
This public/semi-private golf club also serves delicious breakfast, lunch, and dinner at the La Contenta Bar and Grille, overlooking the 1st and 9th holes. Enjoy a peaceful view from the restaurant patio with friendly staff and a chef’s menu focused on using in farm fresh ingredients for the homestyle recipes and in-house prepared brisket burgers.
3. “Golf” of another kind. Disc golf is popping up all over Calaveras County, but it’s the course at New Hogan Reservoir that takes the cake for being the best of the best. This 18-hole disc golf course with rolling hills, gorgeous oaks and great views of the lake offers challenging play for the die-hards out there, but provide plenty of family-friendly play too.
4. One of the best bakeries in the Foothills. Speaking of cake, your sweet tooth will thank you when you stop at Mo’s Devil Food. But that’s not all, because this real bakery (that means fresh daily) not only specializes in exquisitely decorated cakes for every occasion, it also pleases with yummy breads, bagels, pies and pastries. Everything is made from scratch, using freshly squeezed juices, locally sourced produce that is garden grown with no use of pesticides, and food grade essential oils. Why not have lunch too? Mo’s has delicious wraps, paninis, and quiches. “Cakery magic and custom sweet evils. No fondant required” at Mo’s Devil Food!
5. Two words: Good Food. Yup, right where you wouldn’t expect it. Fusion Grill has brought Mongolian BBQ to the Foothills. And it’s good. Grab a bowl, pick your meats and veggies, add a little sauce, hand it over to the good folks behind the grill, and you’ve got yourself a meal perfectly suited to your liking. A great place to take the family since you build your own bowl. Then, there’s legit Thai food. Don’t take our word for it, even the folks on Yelp are raving about the food at Thai House in Valley Springs. They serve up all the favorites and then some. Like it spicy? They will deliver the heat, just ask. And check out the reviews of The Parlour Pub steakhouse! Friendly atmosphere, generous portions, and great place to watch your favorite sports event!
6. Wine and Olive Oil Tasting: Olive Crush Farms offers locally produced items like award winning Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Free-range Eggs, and local wine tasting! Plus this gift shop is filled with beautiful local art, consigned items, furniture, and so many wonderful unique home goods.
7. Rest comfortably overlooking the golf course: Need a place to Stay in Valley Springs? Check in to the cute and cozy 10th Green Country Inn (rooms overlook La Contenta Golf Course). The 10th Green Inn is the perfect getaway close to fishing and boating at New Hogan Lake, in addition to great golf at La Contenta. All rooms are non-smoking, and 8 of out the 10 rooms have a golf course view. Enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast before you begin your adventure in Valley Springs!
Can you stay longer? Looking for more great places throughout Calaveras County? Give us a call at the Calaveras Visitors Bureau at 209-736-0049 or come by and see us at 753 South Main Street, Angels Camp. We’d love to help plan your visit to Calaveras, and we look forward to hearing from you soon!