Welcome to a new year! It’s that time, full of hope, when we make all sorts of promises to ourselves to commit to get fit – or refit, perhaps. Let us help you make it easier with our top ten list of Calaveras-based activities for January to get you out there and on your way to a healthy year ahead!
1. Take a walk – Let’s start with the basics – just moving your body outside for twenty minutes can energize your day and bring fresh perspective. Take a spin down the picturesque streets of downtown Angels Camp, Murphys or Mokelumne Hill. If it’s an unpeopled landscape you prefer, there are fabulous and very accessible trails on the outskirts of Arnold (Arnold Rim Trail), Angels Camp (New Melones Recreation Area) and Valley Springs (Lake Hogan).
2. Run – Take it up a notch, and turn any of the above into a run! And if you’re a runner, check out the 25th Annual Copper Run in Copperopolis on January 28. Choose from a half mile, 2 mile or 10K. Proceeds will benefit the local Fire Department, school and Copper Library. Registration packets available here. Later in the year, sign up for the Angels Camp Gold Run, it usually takes place in September, but check their Facebook page to stay up to date. We’re always adding new events like community runs to our Calendar of Events, so check back often.
4. Disc Golf is also well represented throughout the county, with courses at Lake Hogan in Valley Springs, Quinones Park in San Andreas and Feeney Park in Murphys (as well as Bear Valley and White Pines in warmer months). If you’ve never tried it, give it a shot – it’s harder than it looks and you get a good walk out of it! Plus, most courses are either free or have small park entrance fees. SNAC in Arnold and Murphys are your source for golf discs.
5. Bike – The trails mentioned above – especially those at New Melones Recreation Area – are a great place to sample local mountain biking (the Arnold Rim Trail tends to be covered in snow this time of year, but can be in excellent shape with a spell of dry weather). The mild daytime temps in the foothills can make for a great day of road cycling as well. Calaveras has many popular cycling events throughout the year, here are some of our favorites:
6 & 7. Snowshoeing and Cross Country Skiing – Whether it’s on a pair of snowshoes or cross country skis, few winter activities combine both the challenge and reward of these snow country sports. Once you arrive at the crest of a trail to take in the views of the Sierra Nevada, you’ll be glad you pumped your way to the top. Bear Valley Cross Country has world-class striding, skating and snowshoes trails, and a full rental, retail and demo center. Big Trees State Park is also magical in the snow, and a snowshoe through the park is a truly unique way to experience this ancient forest.
Explore the Stanislaus National Forest on your own by using the parking areas at Spicer Road, Round Valley or Lake Alpine. For these, you’ll need a $5 Sno-Park pass, which you can find along with snowshoe rentals, maps and other area info at Sierra Nevada Adventure Company, Ebbetts Pass Sporting Goods, or Bear Valley Cross Country.
8. Caving – For something deep, check out the special offer this month at Moaning Cavern Adventure Park and Black Chasm Cavern. During January, guided walking tours at either location are 20% off with their Get Fit Coupon. Burn calories while exploring some of Calaveras County’s famous limestone caverns! Our two most popular caves, Moaning Cavern and Mercer Caverns are both vertically oriented – meaning there are plenty of stairs for you to get a unique workout any time of year.
9 & 10. Yoga and Fitness Studios – The mind and spirit need to stay fit too. Visit Intelligent Body in Murphys for a variety of yoga styles, including Vinyasa, Forrest and Kundalini – as well as a new Meditation class. In Arnold, Core Connection offers both yoga and fitness classes such as Pilates, Aerobics and Dance. Angels Camp’s newest fitness studio, The Body Shop offers classes for all levels, including weight and interval training, TRX and BASE methods. All of these studios have drop in pricing, ranging from $12-15. Check their respective websites for specific class schedules.
Be sure to check our Calendar of Events throughout the year for fun ideas to stay active and connected here in Calaveras!