Great Memory-Making Trips Happen in Kid-Friendly Calaveras
It’s not hard to make great family memories on a Calaveras getaway. Whether you’re looking for cultural or outdoor experiences, there’s plenty here to keep the kids happy, engaged and talking about their trip for years to come. And, what’s great about Calaveras County is that pretty much everything here is kid-friendly. Calaveras has family-friendly lodging, restaurants, shopping, and fun indoor and outdoor activities. Be sure to check out our Calendar of Events to see what’s happening in Calaveras County.
Unique, Kid-Friendly Calaveras County & Bear Valley Activities:
- Go WILD CAVE EXPLORING at California Cavern on the Mammoth Cave Expedition beginning at age 8.
- CAVE EXPLORATION, AXE THROWING, GEM MINING EXPERIENCE with your parents on 1500-foot twin ziplines at Moaning Cavern Adventure Park.
- STAND ON the stump of a GIANT SEQUOIA TREE and walk through a giant sequoia tree trunk at Calaveras Big Trees State Park.
- JUMP A FROG at the official Jumping Frog Jubilee at the Calaveras County Fairgrounds, inspired by Mark Twain’s story “The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras“.
- Be a passenger RIDER on SNOWMOBILES on an unlimited wilderness trip through Bear Valley Snowmobile.
- RIDE A CARRIAGE through snowy giant sequoia groves at Calaveras Big Trees State Park’s Winter Wonderland event.
- Downtown Angels Camp Trick or Treat – 12:00 to 5:00.
- SWIM through beautiful NATURAL BRIDGES in Vallecito.
- WATCH Chainsaw and Axe-Throwing Contests at the Lumberjack Day in West Point. Face-painting, bounce house, and climbing wall in the children’s area for even more fun!
- Learn to CROSS-COUNTRY SKI on kid-specific trails on the largest trail system in California.
- Get up-close to the largest collection of 19th century CARRIAGES & WAGONS in California at Angels Camp Museum.
- See a GIANT PENCIL and other amazing exhibits at the Sierra Nevada Logging Museum.
- Win a real Mother Lode GOLD NUGGET at the Mark Twain Wild West Fest.
- See the LARGEST crystalline GOLD SPECIMEN pulled out of the Mother Lode (a massive 44lbs) in the Heritage Museum at Ironstone Vineyards.
- Experience a drive through the RUBBER CHICKEN NATIONAL FOREST at Twisted Oak Winery.
- See a RAPPELLING SANTA at Moaning Cavern during their annual Christmas Caroling Concert in the Cave.
- Enjoy family- friendly live theater at The Metropolitan in San Andreas and The Murphys Creek Theater in Murphys.
- See the original Calaveras County courthouse where Black Bart, the Gentleman Bandit, was tried at the Calaveras County Museum Complex in historic San Andreas.
- See real ANCIENT CAVE BEAR SKELETONS at California Cavern and Stories in Stones.
- LIGHT UP THE NIGHT at five Christmas Tree and Decoration events in Calaveras County.
Taking pictures with the fam on your Calaveras vacation? Tag your Facebook and Instagram posts with #gocalaveras for a chance to be featured on our social media platforms.